Candle Safety Advice

Candle and Wax Melt Burning Tips

Candles and wax melts can be an exceptionally beautiful addition to your home and used with care they can be very enjoyable. Please follow these guidelines when using any candles or wax melts.

  • Wax Melts look very appealing to young children. These should not be consumed.  If this occurs please contact a medical health professional immediately
  • Do not leave electric wax melt burners on or near anything that can catch fire.
  • Ensure the electric wax melt burner is well ventilated.
  • Keep foreign objects out of the wax pool.
  • The electric wax melt burner becomes extremely hot during use, do not touch or move whilst turned on or whilst wax remains molten.
  • Check electric and non-electric burners for cracks
  • Do not use sharp objects to remove solidified wax. Lightly warm wax with a tealight to soften and gently push out the solid wax.
  • Place burners on a heat proof surface.
  • Keep candles out of direct sunlight and away from heat sources.
  • Place candle tins or jars on a heat-resistant surface
  • Place pillar candles on a proper candle holder so they do not fall over
  • Keep out of reach of children and pets
  • Keep away from draughts and curtains or other fabrics or furniture
  • Have at least 1m (3’) between the candle and any surface above it
  • Have at least 10cm (4”) between any two candles
  • Trim wicks to 5mm AFTER first burn and subsequent burns
  • To ensure you get the best performance from your candles, do not burn for longer than 5 hours at a time
  • Keep away from clothes and hair
  • Put out candles before moving them
  • Never leave candles unattended
  • Use a snuffer or spoon to put candles out as blowing them out can send sparks and hot wax flying
  • Do not let anything drop into the hot wax, like matchsticks
  • Make sure candles are completely out and not still smoldering